Belvidere - Boone County Planning Department
Boone County Census Information as Presented by the U of I College of Medicine
The Mission of the Belvidere-Boone County Planning Department is to Coordinate a Vision of Growth for the City of Belvidere, Village of Poplar Grove and Boone County that incorporates the Need of the Community for Balanced, Controlled and Smart growth. To Communicate that Vision to the Citizens while Guiding the development community towards the goals of that Vision.
Regional Stormwater Management Plan
On December 21, 2011, the Boone County Board adopted the Regional Stormwater Management Plan. Please see the links for the final version.
The Belvidere-Boone County Regional Planning Commission is currently reviewing the Comprehensive Plan in order to decide if amendments need to be made. Please click on the Comprehensive Plan link above for the actual Plan.
Land Use Planning
The Department provides staffing for the Belvidere and Boone County Regional Planning Commission. The Commission was created to better coordinate the long term vision for the City of Belvidere and Boone County. As such the Department assists the Commission in the creation and update of various plans. Examples of those plans include:
- The Boone County Comprehensive Plan
- Illinois Route 173 Plan
- Flora Neighborhood Plan
- Belvidere Downtown Transit Plan
The main tools for bringing the long term visions outlined in the various plans for the area to fruition are the zoning and subdivision ordinances. The City of Belvidere, Village of Poplar Grove and Boone County each have their own unique zoning and subdivision ordinances. The City of Belvidere, Village of Poplar Grove and Boone County Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances are available for review here:
- City of Belvidere Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 150 of the Municipal Code)
- City of Belvidere Subdivision Ordinance (Chapter 151 of the Municipal Code)
- Boone County Zoning Ordinance (Appendix A of the County Code)
- Boone County Subdivision Ordinance (Appendix B of the County Code)
- Poplar Grove Zoning Ordinance (Title 8 of the Municipal Code)
Applications for Special Uses, Variances, Rezonings, Subdivisions, Text Amendments, Appeals and Administrative Variances can be found here.
Zoning Maps are available for viewing here.
- City of Belvidere Zoning Map
- Unincorporated Boone County Zoning Map
- Village of Poplar Grove Zoning Map
Often times the Department is asked to assist or coordinate other projects that may not fall under the heading of land use planning or zoning. Some examples of ongoing or completed projects include:
- Boone County Regional Stormwater Management Planning Committee
- Boone County Agricultural Conservation Easement and Farmland Protection Commission
- Belvidere Historic Preservation Commission
- I-90/Irene Road Interchange Economic Impact Analysis
- City of Belvidere Growth Management Study